Monday 31 May 2010

The Jewish Quarter of Prague


Our first day in Prague was filled with interesting and diverse architecture, a beautiful mix of old and new, and all the winding alleys that lead you to another area that has a different story to tell. One of the areas I found most interesting was the Jewish quarter. This area of Prague dates back to the 10th century however, it has seen a number of changes over the years. Although close to two thirds of the Jewish population in Prague was decimated in the second world war, much of this area was preserved because Hitler intended to use Prague as a, “exotic museum of an extinct race” (Jewish Prague). Although it is a fine line when you enter the Jewish Quarter you notice a now very prosperous part of the city, and the beautifully designed synagogues. I found the Spanish Synagogue most interesting because it exemplifies historic Islamic style that measures the cooperative relationship between Islam and Judaism at the time it was built in the 1860’s, also linked to the Jewish culture in Spain.

Another interesting part of the Jewish quarter was the cemetery. It lies about two meters above street level and all you can see from the street is a tall wall blocked in with two buildings and grass on top. Part of the Jewish tradition is that they must bury their dead and here in Prague they began to run out of room, so they began layering burials on top of each other. It is very eerie seeing all of the tombstones crowded together. Although we did not enter the cemetery because it is only included in the Jewish history tour.

The Old-New synagogue was another highlight of our trip through the Jewish quarter. Apparently it is one of the oldest medieval synagogues still standing dating back to the 13th century. It exemplifies a dark gothic style. This structure is quite significant because it is said to be built on stones from the temple of Jerusalem (Old-New Synagogue Information). The achitecture that is seen here is typical gothic and when this was first built this type of architecture was rather new to Prague, but is now seen throughout the city.

All of these changes that have occurred over the long history of Prague can be seen in the scope of the city. Where a moat used to be there is now a street and what was once the poorest part of town is now the most prosperous, the Jewish quarter, this can all be seen as evidence of urbanization changing this once medieval city. The Jews used to be secluded to only this area which was originally on the outskirts of Prague and bordered by the Vlatava river, but now it is obvious that Prague has expanded widely around it in all directions (Prague Map-Josefov is the Jewish Quarter). If it were not for our free walking tour I don’t know how much I would have seen or experienced in the Jewish quarter but it was really valuable to the time we spent in Prague.

6 comments:

  1. After visiting Prague, I agree that the architecture was one of the most diverse, beautiful cities I have ever seen. I thought one of the most interesting parts of Prague was the mix of old and new. I found it very interesting to read you say that Hitler wanted to use Prague as an "exotic museum of an extinct race". I'm assuming you gained this knowledge on a tour of the city, which I unfortunately missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about Hitler wanting to use the Jewish quarter in Prague as an exotic museum of an extinct race. I find that interesting and insane at the same time! I really felt like I learned a lot about the Jewish Quarter in Prague from your blog and it makes me want to go and see all of this for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that how the building were described and the facts and history of the Jewish Quarter. This appears to be a very beautiful part of the city and also a very historical one. I wish I was able to make the trip to Prague this time so that I could see this amazing city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed learning about this under visited quarter of Prague. I think you did a great job of connecting the architecture into history and briefly describing the evolution of the city through its architecture. I do wish I knew more about your personal experience and your observations. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree that Prague has a great diversity of architecture and is very beautiful as well! I liked how you incorporated a lot of the history and geography about the Jewish Quarter in your blog. It seems like a great place to have visited, but when I went there I ran out of time to visit it. If I am ever back in Prague I am sure that I will make it to the Jewish Quarter because it seems like a very interesting place.

    ReplyDelete